Two hundred years ago, on February 28, 1820, John Tenniel was born. He would go on to become knighted for his artistic achievements, chief among them his 50-year-stint as political cartoonist for Punch magazine. According to Alice-in-Wonderland.net, author Lewis Carroll had originally wanted to do his own illustrations for “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland,” and when he did finally concede to working with a professional illustrator in 1864, was not an easy man to please. Eventually the pair would publish a story with images that are now iconic in the world of afternoon tea. In honor of Sir John’s depictions of a zany tea party whose guest list featured a Mad Hatter, March Hare, Dormouse and Alice herself, we have mined our afternoon tea directories for venues and events across the U.S. that serve tea in Wonderland.
Mad Hatter and Alice Tea Parties throughout the U.S.
Below we share pics of fabulously designed tea trays and themed decorations for Wonderland afternoon tea venues and events across the country. This story has certainly inspired folks to be whimsical and creative, which we love at an afternoon tea. In the list below, you’ll note the Mad Hatter is the standout favorite character, which does make sense if you’ve read the book: he was the host of a never-ending teatime…
- May 9: Mother’s Day Mad Hatter Tea – Filoli Historic House & Garden in Woodside
- May 19, 20: Alice in Wonderland Tea – Shakespeare’s Corner Shoppe and Afternoon Tea in San Diego
- Alice in the Village in Mystic
- May: Alice in Wonderland Themed Menu – St. Regis Atlanta, Astor Court in Buckhead
- August 15-16: Mad Hatter Tea – Windsor Court Hotel in New Orleans
- Alice in the Village – Red Queen Tea Room in Foxboro
- Mad Hatter Bistro in Birmingham
- March 3: Mad Hatter’s Bash – The Ivy Tearoom in Albuquerque
- April 18: Tea in Wonderland – Infusion Cafe in Morehead City
- March 14: Mad Hatter Un-Birthday Tea Party – Clara J’s Tea Room at 219 in Maumee
- April 4, 5, 11: Tea in Wonderland – Piccadilly Parlour Victorian Tearoom in Canfield
- March 26 – April 5: Annual Mad Hatter Tea Party – Clockwork Rose Tea Emporium in Beaverton
- November 8: Alice in Wonderland Tea – Deepwood Museum & Gardens in Salem
- Madhatters Tea House & Cafe in San Antonio
- March 28 – Mad Hatter Tea Party – Belle Grove Plantation in King George
Check Your State’s Afternoon Tea Directory Often
Every month we update all our afternoon tea directories with new tearooms and events as we learn of them, so be sure to check back routinely to see what’s new in the afternoon tea world near you. Could be another mad teatime pops up in your listing!